In today’s world, people are constantly on their phones interacting with companies through social media websites such as Facebook and Twitter. Most business people have set up social media accounts and use these websites to connect with their customers.
Social media marketing is an important part of a company’s advertising plan because it has the potential for many returns, such as customer loyalty and increased sales.
Greg Lindy runs the website for Total Paving and also Bodytech Total Fitness and notes “Social media marketing is a practice in which a company tries to “spread the word” about its products or services so that it reaches a large number of people. The Internet has made social media marketing very effective because companies can use it to connect customers with their products. As opposed to traditional marketing methods, which include billboards, magazines, and TV ads, social media marketing incorporates more of an interactional element.”
Differences between social media marketing and traditional methods
1. Social media marketing reaches a wide group of people at the same time. Social Media can reach more than 1 million people in minutes. While traditional marketing can only reach a limited number of people at a time.
2. Jim Baker runs the marketing for Witkowski Dental and also for Elderwerks and notes “The nature of social media is more interactive and easier to use. People are accessing social media websites on their laptops, in their cars, at home, and at work. Traditional marketing methods require people to go to a specific place to pick up an ad or have certain communication skills (e.g., speaking in front of an audience).”
3. Social media marketing is quicker and easier to do, which makes it more effective. Traditional marketing takes several days and weeks to build up a following. Social media marketing is done in a matter of minutes.
4. Social media marketing appeals more to people (especially younger individuals). This is because social media have more interactive aspects than traditional marketing methods, which mainly involve print advertisements and television spots.
3. Social media marketing allows you to share content with more than one person simultaneously and up to 1000 friends and followers per day. Social media allows you to publish your content to Facebook and other social networking websites without having to go through the hassle of printing out flyers or setting up a display.
4. Social media allows you to streamline your marketing efforts by reaching out to those in your geographical area rather than the world. This means you have many individuals with whom you can develop an interactive relationship and build a positive image for yourself and your business.
5. Social media allows you to have greater control over where your marketing messages go. You can target the content of your messages toward specific groups and geographical locations. Social media marketing allows you to tailor your message for the audience you are trying to reach.
6. Social media allows you to directly connect with market members, unlike traditional mass communication methods such as newspapers, radio, or television advertising. Social media allows users to directly communicate and interact with one another rather than through a stranger’s voice.
Social Media Marketing is one of the most effective ways to market your business but requires time and effort. However, if used correctly, it can be a powerful tool in your marketing mix. If you have not yet started using social media, I will encourage you to begin now while it is still a rapidly growing marketing tool. Keep in mind that the more you use it, the more you will learn how to use it effectively.